Akihiro Kakimoto has won the selection and got the ticket to Paris as “Japan Chocolate Master 2012-2013”
Japanese National Selection for World Chocolate Masters 2013 had
been held at “Ecole de Patisserie de Tokyo” on Saturday, 27th
Mr. Akihiro Kakimoto (Chef chocolatier at “Salon du Royal” in Kyoto) has won this selection and got the ticket to Paris as “Japan Chocolate Master 2012-2013”.
Among the numbers of applications which was more than the last
edition, 5 finalists were selected to attend this National
selection. They had one day competition at the venue with 6
assignments of “Chocolate Showpiece”, “Hand dipped and Moulded
pralines”, “Chocolate layered cake”, “Chocolate dessert”, and the
new assignment of “Classic recipe revisited”.
Following the tremendous results of Japanese chefs in the past - 2 winners, 1 second place and 1 Third place during 4 editions - , Mr. Kakimoto is going to make his new challenge for the 5th edition to gain the title of “World Chocolate Master 2013” in Paris next year!
• Winner: Mr. Akihiro Kakimoto (Salon de Royal / Kyoto )
• 2nd prize: Mr. Hisato Kasahara (Patisserie KOSAI / Mito, Ibaraki)
• 3rd: Ms. Miki Kobayashi (Palace Hotel / Tokyo)
• 4th : Mr. Masayuki Katanuma (Imperial Hotel / Tokyo)
• 5th : Mr. Hirohito Hiraizumi (Theobroma / Tokyo)
• Jury President: Mr. Susumu Shimada - President of official technical instructor of JCA
• Vice president: Mr. Tadashi Yanagi - Vice president of official technical instructor of JCA
• Jury: Mr. Naomi Mizuno - World Chocolate Master 2007, Callebaut Ambassador
• Jury: Mr. Shigeo Hirai - World Chocolate Master 2009, Cacao Barry Ambassador
• Guest Jury: Mr. Jean-Marc Bernelin - Technical Adviser Barry Callebaut
During the Japanese preselection, the five contestants will have
to create a chocolate showpiece, moulded and hand-dipped pralines,
a chocolate layered cake, a platted dessert, and will reinterprate
a classic recipe.
Our five contestants are:
- Mr Akihiro Kakimoto : Salon de Royal (Osaka-City, Osaka)
- Mr Hisato Kasahara : Patisserie KOSAI (Mito-City, Ibaraki)
- Mr Masayuki Katanuma : Imperial Hotel (Tokyo)
- Mr Hirohito Hiraizumi : Theobroma (Tokyo)
- Ms Miki Kobayashi : Palace Hotel (Tokyo)
Any idea on who will be the winner? Stay connected to be the first to know.
The jury members will have the difficult task to evaluate the
contestants' work. Eight well-known Chefs have agreed to be part of
this amazing chocolate competition:
- Mr Susumu Shimada : Jury member of the last world final 2011, (Jury president), President of official technical instructor of JCA
- Mr Tadashi Yanagi : Vice president of official technical instructor of JCA
- Mr Koji Tsuchiya : Member of official technical instructor of JCA
- Mr Koichi Izumi : Member of official technical instructor of JCA, Callebaut Ambassador, 3rd place WCM 2005 final
- Mr Naomi Mizuno : Member of official technical instructor of JCA, Callebaut Ambassador, Winner of WCM 2007 final
- Mr Shigeo Hirai : Honorary jury president at WCM2011 final, Cacao Barry Ambassador, Winner of WCM 2009 final
- Mr Yoshiaki Uezaki : Callebaut Ambassador, 2nd place WCM 2011 final
- Jean-Marc Bernelin : BC technical Advisor
On October 27th, the "Ecole de Pâtisserie de Tokyo" will host
the Japanese national selection of the World Chocolate Masters.
Five finalists will compete among each other to win the coveted
title of "Japanese Chocolate Master" and to represent Japan during
the International Final end of 2013.
For Mr Uezaki, who won the 2nd place at the Grand Final in October 2011, "the World Chocolate Masters competition is very unique and very challenging, as it is based on individuals instead of teams. Now I know the value of my skills and knowledge at a worldwide level."
For our previous winners, Mr Koichi Izumi, 3rd place at WCM 2005, Mr Mizuno Naomi, 2007 winner and Mr Hirai Shigeo, 2009 winner, the competition helped them in their career. It gave lots of visibility and worldwide press coverage including TV and famous magazines. Today, Mr Koichi and Mr Hirai have opened their own pastry shops, and Mr Mizuno has renewed his father's one in his own style, which makes him won in 2007.
More information to come!